Terms and Conditions
TERMS OF SALE
- In publishing this catalog, Richard Opfer Auctioneering, Inc., has endeavored to accurately describe all items being sold. However, all items offered for sale are sold strictly “as is.” It is the bidder’s responsibility whether bidding in person, by mail or by telephone, to determine the exact condition of each item. No statement in this catalog, the bill of sale, the invoice, or elsewhere, made by any representative of, or person in the employ of Richard Opfer Auctioneering, Inc., shall be deemed a warranty, representation, or assumption of liability with respect to age, condition, size, quality, variety, importance, provenance or historical relevance of any items sold. Any such matters are strictly matters of opinion. In cataloging, every effort has been made to accurately describe major faults, repairs, etc., for all items. If a potential bidder wishes to use an independent agent, both parties are bound by the same terms of sale stated here.
- The auctioneer will be the final judge as to who is the highest bidder. In the event of any dispute, the auctioneer shall, at his discretion, decide whether or not to reopen the bidding.
- Title to all merchandise shall pass to the highest bidder at the fall of the auctioneer’s “hammer.” The purchaser shall assume full risk and responsibility for the lot purchased once title has passed.
- ABSENTEE BIDS: As a service to our customers who cannot attend the sale in person, Richard Opfer Auctioneering, Inc., will execute absentee bids if so authorized by mail or phone. ALL ABSENTEE BIDS MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY A 20 PERCENT DEPOSIT. Please call for further information on this procedure. All lots purchased for absentee bidders will be done so at the lowest possible price regardless of the amount of the bid. In the event of a tie between absentee bidders and those present at the auction, preference will be given to the attending bidder. In the event of a tie between absentee bidders, preference will be given to the first absentee bid received. Absentee bidders should use the enclosed form and clearly mark the lot number, description, and maximum bid with the understanding that a buyer’s premium will be added onto the “hammer price.” The buyer’s premium is discounted for attendee bidders, if said bidder pays by cash or approved, prompt check. Payment must be made immediately. In the event that items purchased by absentee bid are not fully paid for within 30 days, the 20 percent deposit will be forfeited and the item will be resold at our discretion.
- Richard Opfer Auctioneering, Inc. offers packing of non-fragile items as a service to our customers for a nominal charge. However, we recommend reliable shipping firms for all items of a fragile, expensive, or large nature. The successful absentee bidder is ultimately responsible for arranging the packaging, shipping and insuring of items purchased. Since professional shipping can be expensive, prospective bidders must factor the expense into their final bid.
- All accounts are to be settled by the end of the sale unless other arrangements have been made in advance.
- Payment may be in the form of cash, check, Visa or Master Card. We reserve the right to hold all merchandise paid for by check until such check has cleared the bank. The buyer must pay Maryland sales tax unless exemption is allowed under the laws regulating such tax. All buyers with out of state sales tax numbers must complete a blanket certificate and provide a copy of that state’s retail tax-exempt certificate. Maryland sales tax law dictates that all purchases under $200 is taxable if possession of the item is taken with in the state of Maryland. All items shipped out of state are exempt from Maryland sales tax.
- Richard Opfer Auctioneering, Inc. is not responsible for any typographical errors or omissions in this catalog or subsequent price key. Photographs in this catalog are of the actual object being sold. However, exact condition of the objects being offered is their condition at the time of time of the sale.
- A BUYER’S PREMIUM will be applied to ALL PURCHASES.
- All sales are final.
- The act of bidding on any lot offered here is an indication of the bidder’s acceptance of these Terms of Sale.